Welcome

"We must get beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey."
- John Hope Franklin

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

China

So today was "game day" at school. It was a lot of fun. My partner and I had the kids make snowballs out of different color construction paper, and we created a game called "snowball war." We divided the room in half and had even numbers of kids on both sides. Then we started the clock for one minute and they had to keep all the balls off of their side. Whoever had the least amount of balls of their side after one minute one. My partner and I thought that we were going to need more games, but the kids LOVED that game so much we played for 45 minutes in each class. One class is so obnoxious so we had them play super fast to make them tired. It worked...they needed water breaks, this girl named "jenny" ...her face turned red, and they were all sweating. I LOVED it cause they listened to everyone else for the rest of the day!

I got to Skype Alan today during lunch at the school which was pretty cool. He got to see all of the classrooms and all of the kids said hi to him on Skype. They were making funny faces and introducing themselves to him. It was interesting. I want to have Alan go to my sisters one day with my parents there and everyone so they can see the kids and the school as well. Its funny how they all run up the camera and want to see. We have three french students as well, and Alan was like there are french people in CHINA! haha. so funny!

After teaching today we all came back to the hotel and got to relax for a little longer than usual. It was sooo nice. We had a whole 2 hours to yourselves JUST to relax. Sounds sad when i see it in writing, but its amazing to experience. lol. i forgot the feeling of rest and time for myself. I actually miss saying the phrase "I'm bored."

Later on we went to dinner with some friends and this couple that one of the girls knows who lives in China. She met this guy here in China (white guy...weird) and he has lived here for 7 years and she has lived here for 2 years. Its weird seeing a white guy that knows more Chinese than his Chinese girlfriend. Moving on....its really hard to get a waiter here. They don't really just come to the table and serve you, you have to call them over to get them to take your order. Most take your order on a cell phone. So we finally get the waiter and order our food and Kelsey and I realized that we didnt order a drink. So we ask the couple can you ask them for bottled water, and she goes i dont think that they have bottled water here. So were like "uh, what are we suppose to drink?" She goes "uh are you scared to drink the water? It's fine here." Almost the whole group after goes ya thats fine give me water im thirsty, i dont even care! Kelsey and I were like "uh no, thats ok well just not drink." I couldnt believe that they were willing to get sick. A lot of the people here order ice in their drinks, get margarittas, and blended drinks from starbucks. Im like NOOOOO what are you doing!? They seem to think its fine, so i let them and im just waiting for someone to get sick. The chicken was REALLY good though! It tasted like the kung poa chicken at Panda express but better! I dont know how im going to eat Chinese food at home now cause its sooo much better here. Not so saucy and rich.

EVERYONE here is craving Mexican food. So the couple told us of this place that delivers. It sounds AMAZING, but after they told me that I could drink their water...im second guessing their recommendation. One place that they did tell us about though sounds AMAZING. its a chocolate restaurant that serves chocolate food. We want to try it so bad. Maybe this weekend. She also told us about this place that you can go to, and they dress you up in China attire and you can take pictures. We want to do that too. Were also looking into going to a China dance show. We want to see a authentic Chinese fan dance show with the gowns and all. Not really sure on the plan yet.

After dinner can anyone guess what Kelsey, Melissa, and I did? Yes, your right ANOTHER MASSAGE! haha. We went back and got another foot massage. With all of this walking that we are doing...it feels amazing! It keeps your feet from aching during the day and hey...its only 10 dollars american money. I requested number 17 again "matt" and Kelsey requested number 19 again "eric" and we named another guy today "kevin." Its literally comedy going over there cause we have gotten to know them so well....while we get foot massages they teach us chinese words to use on the kids in school like....sit, be quiete (angep), sleep, teacher, etc. Were going back again and getting a full body but at the other massage place we went to the first time. The girl that did my massage was AMAZING! i want one right now just thinking about it! The way that the room was decorated inside reminded us of a whorehouse, which it definitaly was NOT...but it was comical to say the least. We took pictures while waited. When we got there more Cal State FUllerton students were already inside getting their massages too.

Then we took a taxi back to the hote ( got a little lost with the translation), but we used out mad chinese language speaking skills and got ourselves home....with the exception of Melissa answering the guy by saying "si" we had to remind her that its not Mexico. haha. Its crazy because the chinese people here dont even know that Spanish is a language or who mexican people are. We tried explaining in some very funny ways but they really had no idea. I havent seen one hispanic or black person here while i have been here. Its all white people, chinese, and a few others thrown in. I officially know more CHinese than i do spanish now...and i have only been here 4 days. lol.

well its time to get ready for bed so i can be wide awake for circus day tomorrow at the camp site.

kayla ornelas

p.s. chinese people DONT have stoves in their house because they DONT bake! Just a little interesting fact!
Oh...and the red cabs here (dont take them) they take you to get massages, but the kind with a "happy ending." haha


Side note: mom you would freak out in the taxis down here. We have almost hit a few people, gotten into accidents, etc. I think you might have to close your eyes the whole time in the taxi. i get scared...and im use to driving with dad.

2 comments:

  1. KAYLA!!!!!
    I just read all of your blogs and I talked to your dad the other day and he told me you love it! I'm so glad to hear that it's all working out! I still can't believe that you went its so crazy. I loved reading all of your entries though and getting to see how you're doing over there. The thing about the red taxis and the throwing live shrimp into the boiling water is insane! I could never do that lol. I can't wait till you get back, you me and Alan should go have a Taco Lita/ Albertos pig out..we'll get it all!! lol Keep up the good work with teaching and keep updating your blogs! :) love you miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha

    1. im jello that allan got to skype with you and your class.. maybe when im at yadiras one day i'll be able to find you and we could talk!! woohoo

    2. kay, im sure they cook some stuff in water over there so if youre eating their food, why not drink their water?? but it kinda reminds me of the Sex and the City movie where Charlotte didnt wanna drink the water in Mexico and she accidently got sick and pooped her pants. AHHAHAHAHAHHA i pray that doesnt happen to you ;)

    3. hahaha how your friend was saying "si" to the cab driver.. like in Karate Kid when he's trying to ask for the maintenance man and he's like aqua.. HAHAHAHAHAHHA speaking spanish in china. LMAO

    <3

    ReplyDelete